Article on the history of facesitting

Jan 20, 2007
Dearest LondonBob,

being a foreigner, I needed some time to understand your contribution. I think this is indeed a clear evidence that these things happened.
In regard of Roman times we just have insinuations in a series of contempary literature.
Roman satirists were denouncing at many occasions the luxury life of Roman ladies and their harsh and cruel treatment of slaves.
In an outspoken way they did not call special practices.
But at the city of Pompeji there are lots of paintings left in the houses which give clear evidence that oral practices were quite common and well known.

All those who have doubts can find hints in ancient literature although you will not find clear and outspoken sexual practices.
You will find only hints.

Just as LondonBob writes, it is a job for a detective to find these hints spread all over in contemporary literature.

Anyway dear LondonBob your story is absolutely thrilling and I would love to know as much as possible about all tat because I am as well as you always searching for new evidence.

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
As far as I know Fredrik, there's no REAL evidence that facesitting was an accepted practice throughout history. There's just rumour and wishful thinking on our part. There are a few references in ancient Indian erotic art although again, that in itself is not real evidence. As I've said, I'm certain that it has happened, but when, where and how I don't know.

hamerlick

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
This is a great topic. One note about why it would not be talked or written about is, I think, because most men, including myself, in the past where most likely very ashamed of there submissive thought's. We where raised to be so MACHO that most guy's I know my age (I'm 43) 15 year's ago would'nt even admit we liked licking pussy. Even to this day I would not tell my friend's that I enjoy being sexualy dominated by a woman with big thigh's and bottom's ! And I suspect it's true of woman of the past who where expected to more or less be subservient to the male ! Now I think with the internet we have the ability to remain "somewhat" anonomous so this help's truth's come out. Do you guy's and girl's agree ?

Jan 20, 2007
Dear LondonBob,

in general you are right. But at the satyrs of Juvenal for example you find some hints.
Real evidence you do not even find about the sexual attitude of white women in the colonies or during the time of slavery in the South of the USA.
If there were practices like facesitting the women stayed completely quiet and as far as I learned women can keep a secret much better than any man.

The description of yourself sitting on the face of a collegue of you is quite interesting. I think every man would have been not only surprised but rather shocked being caught in such a wooden thing and being completely helpless to anything that is coming from above.
So, we could call this wooden thing an ancient smother-box.

Being used by elder girls at boarding school quite often because it was usual, I remember that at my times the girls and boys did not have a shower every day.
Usually every 3 days or longer we had the opportunity for a shower and so the girls were smelling of course but I never found that they smelled filthy.
The first moment before they sat and came down it smelled a little bit like fish but as they finally sat, I did not smell anything and the taste of their vaginal discharge was not different to me.
Only the very first few times I had problems with that, so I think your collegue got used quite quickly to your pussy and its smell and taste, even if you did not have a shower for a few days.

mcmerlin

Ze Good German
Jun 9, 2006
But at the city of Pompeji there are lots of paintings left in the houses which give clear evidence that oral practices were quite common and well known.
Im sorry to say that , but thats not correct.
The paintings you speak about, were found in an ancient brothel in Pompeji! Here the rare cunnilingus picture.

disclaimer:
Image is public domain, copyright has expired
This applies to the United States, Canada, the European Union

Cunnilingus was also an undesirable form of male submission to the female, for the Roman society.
If a man wants to do it, his only chance was to visits a prostitute.
Poor Roman women,I need a time machine :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2006
Down under
This is all very arousing but I'd like to see some genuine footnotes and none of this "sources say." What sources, this stuff should be verifiable.
Without wishing to come across as being 'confrontational' about this, I really think you're asking a lot, quite simply, anecdotal evidence aside, what would you consider to be a reputable source ?

What would you choose to believe?

For me, simply because you don't find hard, quantifiable evidence to support the fact that something definitely happened, does that really mean that it didn't happen ?

I mean, I don't know how much time and effort our ancestors spent talking about the thrills of female masturbation, simply because it's not really written about all that nuch does not, by any stretch of the imagination, mean that it didn't happen.
I think I'm right in saying that the reason why lesbianism was not considered an abberation in Victorian England was because Queen Victoria did not beleive that women would engage in sexual practices outside of heterosexual ones.
So, are we then to believe that this was true....
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of accounts from the legends of Lesbos to suggest otherwise.

My own feeling on the subject is that facesitting has been around for quite a while, I'd guess at tens of thousands of years.
What would be interesting, to me at least, would be if you or someone else could suggest why it wouldn't have been.

If you really don't believe that it was happening in the dim and distant past then would you like to try to narrow it down to a time when you think it was suddenly 'discovered' or invented.
All the best

Jan 20, 2007
Thank you for your contribution. We do not know how our ancestors were regarding this topic and we do not know what they were discussing about this special topic.
We only can suspect what they were thinking because there are no written sources we could rely on.
Even today we know very little about the female attitude to facesitting or cunnilingus although for example Nancy Friday was doing an excellent research.
If you would confront a girl or a lady today with the topic of cunnilingus you risk that she will react quite strange.
Of course there are meanwhile more women and girls who would accept but anyway cunnilingus is as far as I can see in the female world anything else but common.
So we only can draw certain conclusions from our actual situation to the situation at former times.
Women who like facesitting and oral service are usually quite self-confident and aware of their feminity and even today rather rare.
So, if in ancient times cunnilingus and other oral services were used by women or girls, I think it was reserved to the upper classes and if they did they did it in complete intimacy and secrecy.

mfriend

Feb 2, 2007
This discussion about the history of facesitting is fascinating. It reminds me of a small historical note I uncovered while an exchange student with a rural Swedish family.

It seems back in the days of Viking raiders they would bring home, along with their plunder, small boys for their women folk to sit on. The men were often out raping and pillaging through Europe and these boys would keep the women happy during those long cold boring winters. Sometimes though, in the passions of the moment, they might accidently smother the captive.

Another aspect was that facesitting/smothering, whatever you call it, continues to this day in all nordic countries. I lived with a large rural family, actually it was two families combined with assorted relatives. The men folk weren’t home, just like in the days of the Vikings, not out raiding but working on North Sea oil rigs (these people were loaded; oil workers are well paid). Unfortunately I was too old to be considered as a candidate for facesitting (darn) but I sure saw enough of it.

Facesitting was a common accepted everyday occurrence. This family was very religious, devout Lutherans with Bibles in every room. They were all good decent people. The women didn’t talk about facesitting, they just did it - continually! It was all very casual and they said its done throughout all northern Europe. It was no big thing to them and had been going on for generations. They even had a chalk board with a schedule showing with whom, how long, etc.
Just a small note, the nose seemed to be the most used method of, ...er...stimulation.

The household consisted of a large number of girls and women off all ages. There were 5 typical blonde haired blue eyed boys ages 6, 9, 10, 11, 12. I won’t go any further. Email me if anyone wants more information.

MFRIEND

al-uk

Jul 23, 2002
NW UK
Are you sure this isnt yet more wishful thinking?

I lived in Sweden for over a year and never saw, or heard of, any such facesitting + often this board often has Swedes complaining about lack of it i Sverige!!

mfriend

Feb 2, 2007
Ha!

HA! No facesitting in Sweden. I’ll have you know I did my undergraduate work in facesitting at UCLA with advanced work at Harvard Smother School. I received my PhD. In Facesitology at the Gutmeir Institute in Bern Switzerland. My thesis was on “The Effects of Pubic Hair on the Victims Facial Muscles.” I am now a paid consultant to the UN on all Facesitting matters.

Did I mention my Joan Wise E. Staton schlorships.

DR. MFRIEND

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2006
Down under
While this topic seems to have gone a little offtrack in recent posts, I'm still curious as to why people would think that facesitting is only a recent part of sexual behaviour, as I said above, I'm pretty certain that it's been going on for millenia, would anybody like to offer any 'evidence' or even just a rational argumnet as to why this wouldn't be the case ?

Jan 20, 2007
This sounds very interesting and I would like to know more about that.
I just remember for my own part when I was staying in England for 1 year in a family when I was 12 years old that the young lady was doing the same with me.
She was about 28 and her husband over 45 years old and he was off during the whole week, so that I stayed the wole week alone with her.
Being a foreigner and very far away from home I did not have any chance to resist and she told me that what she did was nothing but common and usual.
Fortunately she was a quite beautiful lady but anyway I hated to be always at her disposition but I did not dare to say anything and she made me do the chores as well.

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
While this topic seems to have gone a little offtrack in recent posts, I'm still curious as to why people would think that facesitting is only a recent part of sexual behaviour, as I said above, I'm pretty certain that it's been going on for millenia, would anybody like to offer any 'evidence' or even just a rational argumnet as to why this wouldn't be the case ?
There's no rational argument to prove it did or didn't happen. It is a sexual act and I agree that it almost certainly has "gone on" at some time and in some places. It's the real evidence one way or another that's missing. Were one to give the matter proper research, real evidence may be found. Like I said before, real research is expensive, time consuming and frankly embarrassing. How would we begin to look into this? Best to let the uncertainty fuel our fantasies.

S

suffocated1

I visited the Middle East a long time ago and saw a series of murals in a cave along the Red Sea depicting how it all started. Facesitting first began in 11 BC when a woman had her hands cut off for stealing. Her husband was lying in bed one night and asked his wife if she could scratch his nose. Unable to use her stumps she used her buttocks to rub his nose. And the rest, as they say, is history.