Putin and Russia

trail

Dec 24, 2002
Norway
What is the matter with the Russians?

After have followed what is going on, and also read and seen some documentaries, it's in fact quite frightning.

The Russians have never learned how it is to live in a free modern world, and are way back in their thinking. I wish I could translate some very interesting stuff about this to English, but it will be too complicated.

Does "kleptocratic assholes" mean something anyway? Well those who are in power in Russia are all this, all of them.
They have never accepted to lose the parts earlier USSR that now are their own nations. Inlcluding those who have become Nato members.

We will be back to cold war again and maybe worse, for a very long time.
For those who don't know, The North Korea regime is a copy of the Soviet regime.

And I must say when I heard Alena Arshinova speak, what a bitch. Sorry about that, but really she sounded like Hitler or any Nazi. A beautiful bossy lady in black dress, you had to take notice I admit. But.. :ninja:

wanderer109

Dec 7, 2002
Virginia US
Visit site
Right! A KGB thug determined to rebuild the empire. The parallel with German incursion into the Sudeten is striking. So long as there is no strong reaction he has no reason to stop. But not to worry Obama wants to talk it over with the Euros in SEPTEMBER!
Can you say clueless?

wanderer109

Dec 7, 2002
Virginia US
Visit site
Sanctions can be effective over the long term given the economy sanctioned is a weak one <such as the Russian> However, if Putin is willing to bear the burden <as opposed to the people of Russia> he can continue to be aggressively expansionist. He has accurately pegged Obama as weak and can be expected to treat him lightly.

Aug 28, 2013
We will be back to cold war again and maybe worse, for a very long time.
For those who don't know, The North Korea regime is a copy of the Soviet regime.

It's time to bring the old Star Wars weaponary out of mothballs.

I have to disagree; North Korea is not like the Soviet regime, nor the Nazi reign, unfortunately it's much much worse.

Kim Jung-un is utterly mad. He arrested and stripped his uncle naked, put him inside a cage of starving dogs and sat and watched them feed on his screaming uncle. His forced labour camps make the Nazi concentration camps look like Butlins. They have a grisly execution method where prisoners are forced to dig holes in a field. They are then told to stand on the edge before being hit on the back of a head with a hammer.

Guards brag to each other about the sadistic ways they have dispatched their terrified and helpless victims. The political prison camps of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, the inmate population has been gradually eliminated through deliberate starvation, forced labour, executions, torture, rape and . . . forced abortion and infanticide. Prisoners have to walk seven miles to work in -25C conditions. Starvation is rife and the prisoners areoften worked to death. Many eat grass, rats, snakes and even ants in a desperate bid to stay alive.

But apart from that they're very nice people.

Getting back to Putin. He doesn't give a shi'te about any sanctions. Russia is virtually self-sufficient. They supply a third of Europe's gas. If they sanctioned us we'd be in the shi'te.

The game of chess goes up a notch.

trail

Dec 24, 2002
Norway
It is a copy. Not allways exactly the same, but a copy. Sovjet had Stalin. Read about Stailn, he was also very bad and sadistic.

wanderer109

Dec 7, 2002
Virginia US
Visit site
Call names, drag in the Norks etc etc but Putin's geopolitical calculations were timely and accurate. He, and apparently many Russians, wished to regain territory and international reputation, and he judged the time to be right to take over the Crimea and he has been proved right. The Russians have secured their port and access to it, used minimal force, and judged that the reactions would amount to nothing much.
So give the man credit - he made a bold move, it worked, his people approve and so it's a done deal.
The thing to worry about is what he has in mind for his next move. If the Europeans repeat their supine behavior prior to WW2 and allow the aggression to continue unchecked very serious events could occur.

Last edited:

stepoverme58

always in the way
Apr 28, 2006
Call names, drag in the Norks etc etc but Putin's geopolitical calculations were timely and accurate. He, and apparently many Russians, wished to regain territory and international reputation, and he judged the time to be right to take over the Crimea and he has been proved right. The Russians have secured their port and access to it, used minimal force, and judged that the reactions would amount to nothing much.
So give the man credit - he made a bold move, it worked, his people approve and so it's a done deal.
The thing to worry about is what he has in mind for his next move. If the Europeans repeat their supine behavior prior to WW2 and allow the aggression to continue unchecked very serious events could occur.
Yes........perhaps it's time to start seriously wondering how many Russians are living in your neck of the woods.;)

BTW, while I agree with your comparison to events in Europe just before WW II, the Nuclear Option wasn't available at that time. I'm afraid that puts everything into a different perspective. Nichiwo???

P.S. What's a Nork??

stepoverme58

always in the way
Apr 28, 2006
NORK=NORth Korean konechno
So? Your initial reaction to a crisis is the nuclear option? smooooth!
No, that's not what I meant; I meant to say that sabre-rattling has become a lot riskier since the advent of nuclear capability.

The Russians I've been in contact with tell me that the general mood has been sour for some time; they resent Nato moved up eastwards directly on their border and many perceive that as a viable and very present threat to their security.
The idea that the Ukraine might also become a member didn't sit very well with the Kreep in the Kremlin, and he did, indeed, get a shitload of support for this action.
Think about it; the U.S. simply declared Latin America and the the Caribean as their own personal protectorate in the 1820s (Monroe Doctrine), and we certainly freaked out when the Soviets shipped missles to Cuba.

As far as Putin is concerned: I trust him about as far as I can throw him. As I am typing this, the G7 are meeting just down the road; the Russian president was not invited to play. THAT'LL show him!!! :trump

wanderer109

Dec 7, 2002
Virginia US
Visit site
A couple of comments: NATO is a defensive alliance, but I can imagine that the
Russians see it as a threat. The nations that joined NATO did so voluntarily no troop movements were necessary.
I think Putin undervalues the damage real sanctions could do to his fragile economy. It is one thing to sneer now, but later he might wish to rethink that attitude.
The Monroe Doctrine was in reaction to incursions by other nations into the affairs of Western hemisphere nations. I wonder what the outcome would have been if Russia had simply invited the Crimeans to vote on annexation without military involvement.
The offensive missiles in Cuba were an exitential threat to the US good reason to "freak out" and take aggressive action.

Last edited:

L Murray

Aug 29, 2002
Visit site
Putin has planned this for a number of years. Striking right after the Olympics was perfect. Caught the world off guard. I do believe canceling the missile systems in Poland and Czech Republic, not building the oil pipeline from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico and the obsession of cutting the US Defense Department's Budget (manpower, weapon systems, and benefits) for domestic entitlements has sent a clear message to the world aggressors that the US was finished with Foreign Policy and consumed with domestic politics. We can only hope that NATO means something when the treaty says "an attack on one is an attack on all".

wanderer109

Dec 7, 2002
Virginia US
Visit site
Yep! Let us hope that Russia makes no aggressive move on a NATO member. The effect of the response or more likely, non response would be grave. Putin is a careful analyst of the situation his action would create, but mistakes have caused more than one war.
The US has to endure 2 1/2 more years of no leadership. Let us hope the 2016 election will see the election of a real leader.