Tech Advice & Useful Computer Programs

Dec 31, 2004
Visit site
Haha, ok. I have a laptop with no OS on it, and an external USB CD-rom drive. I need the cd drive to install windows, but my laptop will only recognize the USB floppy drive, so I need a dos driver on a boot disk so my laptop can install the drivers from the floppy recognize the cd drive and install Windows. Any ideas on how the fuck to do this?

splitsekonds

Dec 5, 2002
yep - hopefully you have two usb drives

you will need to use another computer and your windows cd to create a boot disk (google it to find instructions) and then use that boot disk (which will be a floppy disk) to begin the windows installation process, during which, it should be able to mount your cd rom drive which should also be connected.

HoustonFetish

Feb 18, 2003
Houston,Tx
www.erotipodia.com
do you know the manufacturer of the cd drive? check their website to see if they have drivers for that.
Also, check for the manufacturer of the laptop. Most times on those older models, they'll have drivers on the site.

IF its a generic or you can't find the website for either, try www.driverguide.com . It's a free registration but they have hundreds of thousands of drivers there

*note - 2 usb drives OR a USB hub should work splitsekonds

Last edited:

splitsekonds

Dec 5, 2002
Originally posted by editor
Nice effort.
Let's hope the earlier mentioned " broad knowledge " of MSD forums
shows itself so that my imput wouldn't be needed.
its not. the first reply is probably the simplest and most direct way to install the OS and get it to detect a cd-rom drive in one shot. If you need more detail/help on doing so, just ask.

Dec 31, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by splitsekonds
yep - hopefully you have two usb drives

you will need to use another computer and your windows cd to create a boot disk (google it to find instructions) and then use that boot disk (which will be a floppy disk) to begin the windows installation process, during which, it should be able to mount your cd rom drive which should also be connected.
I tried copying those files(NTLDR and NTDETECT) from the I386 folder in the Windows CD, but it didn't work, it couldn't read the disk. I've tried other disks, and I've tried some dos drivers, but none of them work. I found one and had an installation going in DOS mode for the driver, but when it asked for a destination on the hard drive to store the files, it said it could not locate or create the destination specified. So is it not recognizing the hard drive?

I also tried downloading the exec file from microsoft that makes a series of 6 boot disks that are supposed to get it done, but I downloaded it, and the program doesn't even work to make the discs.

It's a Fujitsu touchscreen lifebook, and a Memorex 52x cdrw drive.

Last edited:

splitsekonds

Dec 5, 2002
ok lets start from the beginning. You have a notebook, it has usb peripheral floppy and cd-rom drives, and you can connect both at once - it doesn't have an OS, so when you boot up it should just say "no operating system detected"

so the only internal things it has is a battery and a hard drive right?

and you can or cannot get to an ms-dos prompt of any kind?

Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by golferguy674
Haha, ok. I have a laptop with no OS on it, and an external USB CD-rom drive. I need the cd drive to install windows, but my laptop will only recognize the USB floppy drive, so I need a dos driver on a boot disk so my laptop can install the drivers from the floppy recognize the cd drive and install Windows. Any ideas on how the fuck to do this?
If your laptop sees removable device at startup, it doesn't matter whether it is cd or floppy. Just change boot device in BIOS from floppy to cdrom, and use windows bootable cd.

Dec 31, 2004
Visit site
The laptop was manufactured with the floppy which is recognized, but the ex usb cdrom is a drive I bought later, and therefore is not recognized in BIOS. Therein lies my problem.

Splitsekonds: Yes, you are correct. I do have a disk which I can put in that brings up a command prompt, but that's all the disk does. So everything you stated is correct, and yes I can get to command prompt.

Last edited:

trail

Dec 24, 2002
Norway
Seems like your CD-rom drive are not installed properly

Also you can look in the program menu, if theres anything called acessories or something like that. There may be a link to a back up for your OS from the net that can be downloaded.

trail

Dec 24, 2002
Norway
Originally posted by golferguy674
How am I supposed to do any of that when there' no OS on the computer? :rolleyes:
Yes that can be a problem, but dont have to

Which operating system does the hardware support? What exact model Fujitsu laptop is this

trail

Dec 24, 2002
Norway
If you got a Win98 start disk, try to use this. It might load enough stuff to give you cd-rom support. Load the OS, Then take out everything the Start Disc loaded that you dont want

Right Golfer, listen up:

I assume you're trying to install Windows XP, if so follow these instructions:

* You need four blank floppy disks.

* A working computer so you can format the floppy disks and install the needed software on them (Since you can post here I'll assume you have access to a working computer).

1. Go here and download this file and follow the instructions to install it onto the four blank floppy disks: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8

2. After you've done that and installed the software onto the four floppy disks, insert the first floppy disk into your laptop. It will load the necessary drivers and modules. It will ask you to load the next three disks so insert these when they're asked for.

3. After all the floppy disks have been loaded you it will ask you to install the CD into the CD ROM Drive, and will continue to install Windows.

From there on you won't need to use the floppy disks anymore as the installation software for Windows XP will load all necessary drivers, modules and software onto the hard drive.

Hope this helps.

Dec 31, 2004
Visit site
Thanks lantern, that looks like what I need. Did they by chance have a link for one that works with Professional Edition? I'm going to go ahead and try this with my Pro disk anyway if not. I'll let you know how it works out.